- Create unique and accurate title pages. Put your targeted keywords in the title early and often i.e. target keyword: cell phones should be: "Cell Phones From Top Manufacturers" ALWAYS keep you title less than 64 characters to avoid the ellipses* after your title. This looks unprofessional and will decrease CTR**. Always always capitalize the first letter of each word... IT WORKS!
- Accurate descriptive description. Ask a question, put a phone number, use the ® or ©. These things can be used in your title tag to to make your site stand out. What ever you do not overly stuff with keywords i.e. "We sell cell phone cases, cases, phones, charges etc. Make it a sentence. Because remember it does not mater how good you ranking is, if the content displayed on the SERP*** is no good, then people will not click through.
- Improve your URLs. Do not smash all the words together in a URL. Use hyphens not underscores, why? If Google uses them and it good enough for their site, and its good enough for yours. i.e. BAD: example.com/cellphonecases.htm GOOD: Create a folder and call it "cell-phone-cases" then put your content page inside that file and call it index.htm or .php whatever. Your sites URL is now "pretty" example.com/cell-phone-cases/. This does not only look better, it ranks better. Don't be too long again smashing every keyword possible... be simple and descriptive. DO NOT use something generic like "page13
- Make your site easy to navigate. Use breadcrumbs see the top of this page under the header image. There are many bread-crumbing scripts that will take your pages title and folders and create this effect (I will post these in later posts). You can also simply code them in yourself as they are just simple links.
- Use a site map. A site-map is used to show all relative links for a site on one page. An XML site map seen here will be needed to submit to most search engines. The XML version does not have to be pretty, an optional html or php site map will be need if you want to show your viewers.
- Have a useful 404 or error page. Google 404 Page Widget Give your reader a way to navigate back to your site.
- Avoid sloppy writing with misspellings and grammatical errors.
- ANCHOR TEXT... ANCHOR TEXT is the words in a link. This tells the search engines what the next page may be about. It also provides your viewers the benefit of knowing what you want them to view next, or visit. Put your key words in the anchor text Avoid: next, page1, category1 instead choose: blue cell phone, red cellphone cases etc. Keep it short and descriptive, do not have a whole sentence as a hyperlink. Make them easy to spot, do not hide them by making them the same style as your plain text.
- Use the heading tag properly. This tells the search engine the topics of you site i.e. Cell Phone Providers
- Optimize your images. When placing images on your site, use the alt image tag and make your graphic names descriptive. remember a search engine cannot see the words or shapes of your images... so tell them what it is.
- Use the robots.txt file. Tell the search engines where and what to index and not index. For example, you dont want them to index your download page, right? Google also provides a useful too for that as well: Google robots.txt Tool Tips: disallow your internal SERPs to be indexed, near duplicate pages and URLs created by a proxy service. How to write a robot.txt file for Wordpress
- Use the rel=nofollow tag. This tag will tell Google that the page you are linking to has no value. The search engines may index the page you are linking to, but will not pass any PageRank® or page reputation. You will want to use this on a page that has no importance i.e. contact us page, SERPs, about us page etc these are pages that probably dont make you money, so why have them rank.
- Promote the right way through blogs, forums, social media, add you business to the Local Business Directories. You will find more information on the above marketing strategies incoming posts.
- I cant end on 13... Use site analytics to see where, how and how much traffic particular actions are bringing you. Google Analytics offers this service free.
*the dots .... following a set of words meaning it continues
**Click Through Rate
*** Search Engine Results Page
Read the entire Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter GuideGoogle's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide, Version 1.1, published 13 November 2008
THE Internet Marketing Resource Directory
Google Teaches SEO